September 02, 2007

Rate the Hate the 1st Edition

We're starting with dessert, because, um, we're grown ups. We can start with dessert if we want.

Josh has a brownie problem. Read: He stopped drinking and took up brownies. I decided to bake him some this week. Now, I bake a fine brownie from scratch, and sometime they're fun to make, but truth be told, these brownies are so freaking much better than almost every brownie I've ever eaten and are so easy a kid could make'm that I hung up making them from scratch a few years ago.

Buuuuut, I wanted to make something nice, not just out of a box, and so I decided to throw a cheesecake-ish topping on them. It's super easy, really:

For every stick of cream cheese you use, you add 1 egg and 1/3 cup white sugar. You could add a little vanilla or a raspberry swirl or chocolate chips if you wanted to, but I like it plain. If you're doing an 8X8 pan of brownies, just do the measurements for one stick. A 13X9 takes two. Blend the eggs, cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl (not too much or it'll get stiff, just enough so it's not lumpy and workable). Spoon it on top of the unbaked brownies, spread it around gently to cover the whole top and cook it at 400 for, like, 45-50 minutes. You know, toothpick check it at 45 minutes. Let it cool all the way and then slice it.

It's my favorite "you think I worked my ass of on this dessert, but I didn't" dessert. It's totally good.

The question is: Do you think they ate it? Or, to make it easier, on a scale of 1-10, how much do you think they hated it? 1 being Best. Dessert. Ever. and 10 being We're Called Child Services and the Food Network to tell on you, you horrible, horrible woman.

Labels: