December 09, 2007

Rate the Hate the Short Cut edition

So, I have this recipe for a rubbed, slow roasted pork shoulder that you then pull, soak in homemade barbecue sauce and eat on thick, Italian rolls. Sounds divine, doesn't it? Yeah, I thought so, too. But, alas, I have no patience right now and so totally took a short cut. And that brings us to tonight's dinner...Pulled Pork Sandwiches that Taste Like You Really Cared, but Actually Didn't.

You throw 2 whole pork tenderloins in a crock pot. You add enough water to just cover them, and then to that add 1 cup barbecue sauce, 4 tbsp cider vinegar and some hot sauce or seasoning. I, of course, added this. (Honestly, I rubbed the tenderloins with it first, but I seriously doubt that matters.) You let that go all day on low in the crock pot, or about 50 minutes on 350 in the oven. When the pork can be pulled apart easily with two forks, it's done. Pull it out, pour a little of the sauce on it to keep it moist, and let the meat rest.

Dump all the left-over sauce into a pan (I always add a little extra bbq sauce to the juices) and cook that over med-high heat until it reduces somewhere around in half. You need to keep checking the consistency so you don't reduce it too much. When it's as thick as you want, take it off the heat.

Pull the tenderloins apart with fork until they're really good and separated, pour the sauce on top and mix really well. Throw that on a bun (or in a pita with tomatoes and lettuce, YUM!) and serve with the one thing that is getting me through the day right now.Easiest. Yummy. Dinner. Ever. You can do the hardest part before you take a shower in the morning. It's not crazy-best-dinner-alive, but it sure will do on a Saturday night. My kids, well, they don't exactly hate it, but they wouldn't be sad if I forgot all about it. They do, however, like mom's fancy-pants chips.

That's it. In the very nearish future, I'm doing the all-out one, full of scratchy goodness. I'm betting it's 50 bazillion times better than this one.

Labels: