January 12, 2008

Rate the Hate the Playing With Others Edition

So, yeah, it's Saturday again. We're talking chicken. Before we do that, though, let's talk about that little box way down there.

See, this is where you all can play, too.

Hucks is joining me in trying really hard to post recipes on Saturdays. And while I was lurking about today, I saw that Judith Shakes also posted something about food today too.

Um, you guys wanna play with me?

Saturday, if you are so inclined, whip up a post about something awesome or easily or color coordinated or otherwise generally eaten by you and yours. Again, if enough people play along, I will totally cook someones recipe each month and send you an awesome prize in the mail. A kitcheny prize. Just ask The Retropolitan. HIS winning chili recipe prize has been wrapped, boxed, addressed and shoved in the back of my closet for 3 months now. (Dude, I'm working on it.)

Anyway, chicken.

The default.

The vodka of proteins.

"Oh, I don't know, I guess I'll just have a vodka ______." Sure, a Maker's Manhattan would be so very much better, but vodka is the Windows Media Player of drinks, and chicken is the vodka of dinner.

Unless, of course, you get creative.Those are chicken toes. You just take a couple chicken breasts and slice them short-ways, you know? Not down the length, but the width. Toss them in olive oil and some salt & pepper. Pop the strips onto the end of skewers and grill them. Then drown those suckers in your favorite barbecue sauce.

I like to put a big old pile of mashed potatoes in the middle of the plate and then prop the skewers around it, like a tee-pee. Maybe boil some corn on the cob. Perhaps bake a biscuit or two.

This is my kids single favorite dinner, because, I imagine, it looks lethal. I love it because it takes 20 minutes tops to make. And I am having a full-blown torrid love affair with barbecue sauce. Sue me.

So that's it. Whatcha got for me?

Labels: