September 05, 2007

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

First things first:

They hated the brownies. Like, took one bite and no more. Even Josh. Which left me, trying to cut out the carbs, with a whole pan of brownies to eat (I only ate half).

2of3 got himself a spanking. I mulled it over, I tried to talk myself out of it, but in the end I was left with no other options. He took it like a champ, and tried not to cry, and I tried not to cry, but we both did. And now I understand what they mean by this is gonna hurt me more than you. It really was no big deal, 'cause honestly I could barely bring myself to do it, and we had a good long hug afterwards and a few sniffles and he gave a grandiose sort of apology. His dad grounded him for the rest of the day and the next day he checked with me every single time we went on to a new thing. He even asked for his watch so he could keep track of the time he was out. I congratulated him over dinner on his excellent behavior and for showing so much responsibility and he said, "Yeah, I don't ever want to get a spanking again."

Hmmm.

And that's all I have to say about that.
And now, the important stuff. Today was the Best. Day. Ever. Know why?
Back to school, baby. It was just an hour-long orientation, with all the new kids in the library. They made little "About Me" posters.

3of3 made one, too. She's got this school thing down. I guess there is something to be said for selling your soul to the PTA. It preps your kids for school, if nothing else.

Tomorrow they go full day, and all week they are spilt into "family groups" where the kids are mixed with other kids from all grade levels and they spend the week doing fun activities. I can only guess that this is to give the school administration time to sort the classroom. Not like they didn't have 2 whole months to sort the classrooms, but heck, this is Canada. Things just happen differently here. It is annoying me mildly, but the boys think it sounds like the funnest fun ever, so I'll roll with it. I'd have to roll with it anyway, so I might as well smile while I do it, eh?

So, Monday we'll meet the teachers. And then real life begins. And then I have to learn the metric system. To be perfectly honest, I am totally afraid of the metric system. We'll see how it goes.

But, for now, here we are in the land of sack lunches and pencil shavings in the carpet, jackets for the cooler weather, sneakers squeaking on linoleum floors. Ahh, school. It never gets old.

Labels: