December 17, 2007

Auld Lang Syne

I grew up in a house full of music, and most of my memories of childhood have a soundtrack. A strange soundtrack. Maybe we'll talk about that someday.

Today, we're going to talk about one guy. That one guy shaped a whole lot of my views on music. His voice gets me right *here* no matter how old I get or how outdated he gets. That guy died on Sunday.

Longer was one of the first songs I learned to play on the piano. The Leader of the Band has been and always will be the song I listen to when I just really need my dad. Same Old Lang Syne is my very favorite of his songs, and only for its' simplicity and realness. That shit could happen to anyone. Someone put it on a mixtape for me once, and now that song forever has a home in my heart, too.

Yes, I am completely aware of the fact that I am way too young to love Dan Fogelberg, but I love Dan Fogelberg. It's one of those things I will never fess up to loving in public, but I really, really do when I'm all by myself.

There's no point to this, really. He died, and I find myself a little sad about that.

Labels: