January 05, 2008

Rate the Hate the Messy Edition

I heart brownies. Possibly more than it's legal to. My husband, however, is stalking brownies. Brownies have had to take a restraining order out against him. He, who asks me for almost nothing domestically, specifically decreed that our home shall always have a chocolate substance baked and readily available to him. The guy's gotta pull rank sometimes, eh?

I share with you this recipe not because it is the world's best recipe. In fact, my very first Rate the Hate was brownies, you will recall, and that is a damn fine recipe. But there are pictures of chocolate dipped children that I must share, and a recipe for eggplant parmesean doesn't work so very well with them. Also, it's a one bowl recipe, and I am the Queen of the Messy Kitchen, so one bowl works well for me.

So, you melt 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate over a double boiler (meaning a sauce pan on top of a pot in my white trash kitchen) and then stir 3/4 c. melted butter into that. Add 2 c. sugar, then stir in 3 eggs (I always beat them first, but I don't know that it matters, really) and 1 tsp vanilla.

(Rilah asked a good question in the comments. If you are going to use a metal or glass mixing bowl, just use that as the top of the double boiler. If not, this would be a good time to move the chocolate mix into a mixing bowl.)

Stir that up well and then slowly add 1 c. flour until well blended. You can throw in a cup of nuts if you like; I don't.

You pour all of that into a greased 13X9 ban and bake it for 30-35 minutes at 350. And then you do the MOST IMPORTANT THING; you let your helpers lick the bowl.

Labels: